Inhibition of Acetylcholinesterase Enzymes in Alzheimer's Disease from Ethanolic Extract of Moringa Leaves (Moringa oleifera Lam.)
Moringa leaves have been recognized by the public as a treatment. One such disease is Alzheimer's disease where the way this plant works is to inhibit the damage that occurs in the nervous system in the brain. The purpose of this study was to obtain ethanol extract of Moringa leaves by carrying out a phytochemical screening process to determine the chemical content contained in these plants.
The moringa leaves obtained were subjected to a grinding process to obtain simplicia powder. After that, the extraction is done by soaking the Moringa leaves with 96% ethanol for 11 times until the extract is perfect. After that, the concentration is done with a Rotary Evaporator until you get a thick extract of Moringa leaves. After that, the thick extract is followed by the Freeze Drying process to get a thick extract that is stable and can hold in storage.
After that, the extract was tested against the inhibition of the acetylcholinesterase enzyme based on the Ellman method, the IC50 yield of Moringa leaf extract was 819.7517 ppm. Meanwhile, Eserin positive control with an IC50 value of 5.010 ppm. Acetylcholinesterase inhibition kinetics were competitive. So it is said that Moringa oleifera extract has an effect on the treatment of Alzheimer's disease.
(2) Yulanri D. Uji Aktivitas Anti Alzheimer Secara In Vitro Dengan Penghambatan Enzim Asetilkolinesterase (Ache) Oleh Ekstrak Etanol Kulit Buah Petai (Parkia speciosa Hassk.) (skripsi). Palembang: Universitas Sriwijaya. 2018. H 8-14.
(3) Leone A, Spada A, Battezzati A, Schiraldi A, AristilJ, Bertoli S (2015) Cultivation, genetic, ethnopharmacol-ogy, phytochemistry and pharmacology of moringa oleiferaleaves: An overview.Int J Mol Sci16, 12791-12835
(4) Sutalangka C, Wattanathorn J, Muchimapura S, Thukham-mee W (2013) Moringa oleifera mitigates memoryimpairment and neurodegeneration in animal model of age-related dementia.Oxid Med Cell Longev2013, 695936.
(5) C R (2014) A nootropic effect of Moringa oleifera onAch and ChAT activity in colchicine induced experimen-tal rat model of Alzheimer’s disease: Possible involvementof antioxidants.Al Ameen J Med Sci7, 125-133
(6) Ellman, G. L., Courtney, K.D., Andres, V.Jr. & Featherstone, R.M. 1961, A new and rapid colorimetric determination of acetylcholinesterase activity, Pharmacol, 7: 88 –95
(7) Silverman, R.B. 2002.The Organic Chemistry of Enzyme Catalysed Reaction.Academic Press.h 563-84.
(8) Wetwitayaklung, P., Limmatvapirat, C., Phaechamud, T., dan Keokitichai, S. 2007. Kinetics of acetylcholinesterase inhibition of Quisqualis indicaLinn.flower extract. Silpakorn University Scienceand Technology Journal.1(2): 20-7.
(9) Nwidu LL, Elmorsy E, Aprioku JS, Siminialayi I, Carter WG. In vitro anticholinesterase and antioxidant activity of extracts of Moringa oleifera plants from River State, Niger Delta, Nigeria. Multidisciplinary Digital Publishing Institute Journal. Juli 2018; 5: 71.